- We're sad to announce VVAW member Eleanor (Aunt Shorty) Wayman, who was featured in the Fall 2016 issue of The Veteran, passed away soon after her 100th birthday last Fall. She did appreciate the feature on her. She will be missed.
- VVAW is also sad to announce the passing of long-time VVAW member Jaime Vasquez from New Jersey. He served in the Marine Corps in Vietnam where he "earned" a Purple Heart. He was very active in the Veterans Support Vieques campaign. He was also a prime mover in creating the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Pershing Park, including the Hidden Casualties Memorial dedicated to Dave Cline.
- VVAW is glad to welcome Travis Landchild and his Stick Vet cartoons to The Veteran. We hope to run more in the future.
- VVAW is also glad to feature some of Steve Millard's drawings this issue. Steve was a Combat Artist with the 18th Military History Division in Cu Chi and the 25th Infantry Division from 1968-1969.
- Last fall, VVAW gave more money to the Vietnam Association for Victims of Agent Orange/Dioxin (VAVA) to build housing for victims of Agent Orange in Vietnam. More details in a future issue of The Veteran.
- VVAW applauds the release of political prisoners and veterans Oscar Lopez Rivera and Chelsea Manning. We welcome future articles on their incarceration and release.